Jeffrey B. Hayden
My practice centers around criminal defense, juvenile delinquency defense and defending Landermann-Petris-Short (LPS) conservatorship cases. Much of my caseload is by court appointment for legally indigent defendants; the appointed counsel program assigns me mostly serious felony cases, juvenile delinquency cases and LPS conservatorship cases. The balance of my practice consists of retained and Pro Bono cases. I take on civil and/or administrative cases, that are substantially related to my criminal defense practice, such as taking care of a traffic citation for a client facing criminal charges, defending civil contempt proceedings or opposing restraining orders. I pride my self not just on the results which I have achieved, but also:
I have received an A-V rating by Martindale-Hubbell. Also, I am listed in their "Bar Register," limited to the top 5% of lawyers they have rated
I have been rated among the top 5% of Northern California lawyers by San Francisco Magazine in their annual "Super Lawyers" supplement 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2009.
I have achieved a rating of 10.0/10.0 by AVVO.com
I have been certified as a criminal law specialist by the State Bar of California and, by appointment of the Board of Governors, chair the Criminal Law Advisory Commission
I provide a public service, many of my cases are court appointed, and I defend additional cases either for free or for a greatly reduced rate while never compromising the quality of representation I provide
I defend the cases vigorously, yet ethically; I have never had any court, co-counsel or opposing counsel question my word or my ethics
DEPUTY PUBLIC DEFENDER: LOS ANGELES COUNTY PUBLIC DEFENDER 1993-1997 My training began with misdemeanor arraignments. I advanced through preliminary hearings, misdemeanor trials, and traffic court (including DUI cases). Upon completion of my training, I was assigned to Compton, where I served 16 months in Municipal Court, followed by 21 months in Compton Juvenile Court. On January 6, I began my final assignment at the South Gate Municipal Court. Before leaving the Public Defender's Office, I litigated 15 jury trials, approximately 300 juvenile trials, and countless preliminary hearings and pre-trial motions.
JUDICIAL LAW CLERK: to the Honorable Robert P. Aguilar and the Honorable James Ware.
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT - San Jose, CA 1990-1993
Some ten weeks after being sworn into the bar, I began a judicial clerkship in the United States District Court. I was appointed by Judge Robert P. Aguilar to assist in settlement conferences. Given my desire to increase my workload and to learn, I quickly began working with additional judges in the courthouse. I became actively engaged in assisting Judge H. James Ware with legal research and writing bench memos and court orders in both civil and criminal cases, and I simultaneously served in two capacities: I assisted Judge Robert P. Aguilar preparing various types of cases for settlement conferences over which he would preside, while I worked as an additional clerk to Judge Ware). The work I performed for Judge Ware included criminal and complex civil motions which proved too cumbersome for a clerk moving a large number of files. Under the simultaneous tutelage of both judges, I excelled in criminal law and motion. My additional duties included reviewing administrative law appeals and prisoner habeas corpus and section 1983 petitions, participating in settlement conferences, and supervising student externs. I remained at the district court until mid 1993.
ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY: Kroff and Associates, Palo Alto, CA 1990
I began working for this small civil litigation firm as a law clerk immediately after taking the February 1990 Bar
Examination. When sworn into the Bar, I remained as an associate attorney. Much of the caseload was plaintiff’s
personal injury cases; however, I also worked on the defense of complex civil and business litigation cases. I
remained here until the start of my judicial clerkship.
LAW CLERK: NASATIR & HIRSCH - Santa Monica, CA 1989
Criminal law. Assisted with legal research, writing legal briefs and memoranda, preparing cases for trial. Diverse
case load included inter alia Homicide, DUI's, and White Collar Crime.
LAW CLERK: BET TZEDEK LEGAL SERVICES Los Angeles, CA 1988
LAW CLERK: LEGAL AID FOUNDATION OF LOS ANGELES Los Angeles, CA 1987 1988
COMMITTED TO DEFENSE; NEVER A PROSECUTOR
- Certified Specialist in Criminal Law, The California Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California. I handle misdemeanor and felony cases ranging from Petty Theft to Homicide, from Sex Crimes to Insurance Fraud, from DUI's to curfew violations, in both adult and juvenile courts.
- I have practiced before courts from Los Angeles County to Sutter County, most of my practice is in San Mateo, Santa Clara and San Francisco counties, AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO RUN MOTIONS OR TAKE CASES TO TRIAL.
- Member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, California Attorneys for Criminal Justice, California Public Defenders Association, the Conference of Delegates of California Bar Associations, the San Mateo County Bar Association and the State Bar of California.
- Ten (10) years in Criminal Defense.
- Former Deputy Public Defender, County of Los Angeles, California.
- Former Judicial Law Clerk, United States District Court.
COMMUNITY LAW NIGHT. A, joint venture of the San Mateo County Superior Court and the San Mateo County Bar Association, the participating attorneys give free consultations to members of the community.
PRO BONO LEGAL WORK. I take several trial-level cases and post-trial motions each year without fee.
MOCK TRIAL JUDGE. The Constitutional Rights Foundation offers the Mock Trial Program wherein local High School students form teams and compete in courtroom advocacy. Each year I attend several sessions, sitting as a judge and presiding over the proceedings. Later in the Spring, the students are honored at a luncheon that I also attend each year.
KALW, Your Legal Rights. Weekly call-in radio program, run by Deputy San Mateo County District Attorney Chuck Finney as a public service. I appear a few times a year on-air. In addition, once per month, Mr. Finney provides an off-air service wherein a listener can call off-air, during the broadcast, for a consultation with a Certified Specialist. I have participated each month for the past several years, handling any cases deriving from the program on a pro bono basis. For my participation, I received a Certificate of Appreciation from the Board of Legal Specialization, a sponsor of this program.
HOMELESS CAT NETWORK. I volunteer taking care of rescued cats, helping to get them adopted.
ANIMAL CRUELTY TASK FORCE. A joint operation of the San Mateo County Superior Court, the San Mateo County District Attorney, various law enforcement, veterinary and animal control authorities designed to establish a channel of communication between these groups and to further the prosecution of animal cruelty cases. I serve as the representative of the San Mateo County Bar Association.
LEGAL ANALYST, Appearing on Regional and Nationally Broadcast Television News (Last Appeared 2006).
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Traffic Violations
- Hit and Run
- Violent Crimes
- Domestic Abuse
- Murder / Homicide
- Attempted Murder
- Sex Crimes / Rape
- Juvenile Offenses
- Insurance Fraud
- Credit Card / Check Fraud
- Drug Crimes
- Gang Crimes
- Curfew Violations
- Parole / Probation
- Three Strikes
- Civil Rights Violations
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Law, California Board of Legal Specialization, State Bar of California, 2001
- California, 1990
- University of Southern California Law Center, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1989
- Honors: Miller-Johnson Equal Justice Award
- Honors: Legion Lex Scholarship
- Honors: Central District of California, Los Angeles, CA. Fall 1988
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- B.A. - 1986
- Major: Economics
- The Recorder, Mobile Devices Fair Game for Police Searches, March 11, 2011
- The Recorder, Revisiting the Three Strikes Law, July 27, 2011
- Paid Legal Analyst, Appearing on Regional and Nationally Broadcast Television News, 2006
- People v. A.F. Three Strikes, but he's not out. Instead of more prison, he got into a drug program. -- People v. D.S. Juvenile case. They wanted him in CYA, I took him to trial and won. He's home now! -- People v. S.M. Felony Embezzling. Reduced to misdemeanor at preliminary hearing. (2003)
- People v. K.E. Third Strike. Not Guilty at court trial. -- People v. M.B. DUI. After win on blood alcohol, case settles for speeding ticket! (2002)
- People v. A.L. Marijuana cultivation. Case dismissed after showing court the search was illegal. -- People v. M.B.R. Juvenile case. Before trial: Accessory/Attempted Murder. After trial: Failure to yield. (2000)
- People v. P.M. Hit and Run. Not Guilty at jury trial (1999)
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer: Northern California Super Lawyers, 2004 - 2006
- Super Lawyer: Northern California Super Lawyers, 2009
- Certificate of Appreciation, Board of Specialization, State Bar of California, 2007 - 2010
- A-V Rated (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Listed in Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register
- Listed in Martindale-Hubbell “Bar Register,” also limited to the top 5% of lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice, Member, 1998 - Present
- California Public Defenders Association, Member, 1994 - Present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2002 - Present
- State Bar of California, Criminal Justice Section, Certified Criminal Law Specialist , Member
- State Bar of California, Criminal Law Advisory Commission, Commissioner, 2008 - Present
- State Bar of California, Criminal Law Advisory Commission, 2011 - 2012
- State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization, Member, 2011 - 2012
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, 1997 - Present
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, Board of Directors, 2008 - Present
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Secretary, Board of Directors, 2012 - Present
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Private Defender Program Panel Attorney, 1997 - Present
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, PDP Committee (Oversees Private Defender Program), 1999 - 2000
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, PDP Committee (Oversees Private Defender Program), 2002 - 2003
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, PDP Committee (oversees Private Defender Program), 2007 - 2008
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, PDP Committee (Oversees Private Defender Program), 2011 - Present
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Liaison to PDP Committee, 2011 - 2012
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, Conference of Delegates, 2011 - Present
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Delegation Chairman, 2006 - Present
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Bench and Bar Committee, 2003 - 2005
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, Operations Committee, 2007 - 2011
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, LRS Committee (Oversees Lawyer Referral Service), 2007 - 2010
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, LRS Committee (Oversees Lawyer Referral Service), 2012 - Present
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Chair, LRS Committee (Oversees Lawyer Referral Service), 2008
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Chair, LRS Committee (Oversees Lawyer Referral Service), 2010
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, Client Relations Committee, 2011
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member, Diversity Committee, 2012 - Present
- San Mateo County Superior Court, Judge Pro Tem, 2006 - Present
- San Mateo County Superior Court, Member, Animal Cruelty Task Force, 2007 - Present
- Conference of California Bar Associations, Member, 2001 - Present
- Conference of California Bar Associations, Member, Board of Directors, 2007 - Present
- Conference of California Bar Associations, Member, Resolutions Committee, 2006 - 2007
- Pacific Juvenile Defender Center, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Judicial Law Clerk, Judge Robert P. Aguilar, Judge James Ware, United States District Court, San Jose, California, 1990 - 1993
- Deputy Public Defender, County of Los Angeles, Public Defender, 1993 - 1997
- Kroff and Associates, Palo Alto, CA, Associate Attorney, 1990 - Present
- Nasatir & Hirsch - Santa Monica, CA, Law Clerk, 1989 - Present
- Bet Tzedek Legal Services - Los Angeles, CA, 1988 - Present
- Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles - Los Angeles, CA, 1987 - 1988
- Public Interest Law Foundation of U.S.C., Director & Founder
- Judicial Externship: with the Honorable Robert M. Takasugi, United States District Court
- Phi Alpha Delta